Jun 29, 2010

Pina Colada Sangria


Put the "wine" in the coconut and shake it all up...I said, "Docta".....

Which is what I feel like I need (a strong drink AND a Doctor) now that I've caught up on all of my gardening followed by a nightmare my hubby and I endured opening our pool for the summer. (long story) On a lighter note, nothing says summer like Sangria! Which is exactly what we've all decided over in the virtual wine club on bakespace.com. If you're interested in joining us, you might want to check out the "community wine tastings forum"

Normally we choose one wine varietal/type per month to try out. However, we decided to combine a few months and for both June and July, explore the endless possibilities of Sangria. If you didn't know, Sangria is simply a wine punch, made with fruit, sometimes other flavorings or alcohol, and sometimes soda. Typically, traditional Sangria is made from red wine, but it is becoming more and more common to include white wine varieties. So our challenge this time was simple, create your own Sangria and report back with a recipe. No rules, no worries.

I had immediately thought of a "Tropical Sangria" in which I was going to use white wine, pineapple, mango, and brandy. Well a friend of mine, Spryte,  was apparently on the same wave length (this happens a lot on bakespace) and beat me to the punch (ha ha, get it? "punch"?) You can check out her tasty "tropical" version over on her blog "Spryte's Place"  

So, I had to come up with something that was a bit different and I decided I wanted to try a Pina Colada type Sangria and add a little coconut flavor. Crazy idea you say? Wine and coconut? Let me tell ya, this stuff totally rocked and screamed summer! Originally, I was going to use some sort of coconut milk or cream of coconut...that is until I found this stuff in the cocktail isle. "Real Coco", which is a thick condensed coconut cream. You may use fresh or canned fruit. I went with canned only because of time constraints. (I was having a pool party and needed to throw it together quick) 


Pina Colada Sangria 


2 Bottles Riesling 
1 C canned pineapple chunks, drained, juice reserved
1- 10oz jar maraschino cherries, drained
1 mango, peeled and diced (how to video here)
1 C Bacardi light rum
1/2 C pineapple juice (more if you'd like)
1/4 C + 2 Tbsp Real Coco Cream of Coconut

Poor wine into a pitcher. Strain the pineapple, reserving the juice and set aside. Strain the cherries and add the cherries and pineapple to the wine. Add in the mango, rum, and 1/2 C pineapple juice. Lastly, add in the cream of coconut (you may need to run the bottle under hot tap water just to loosen it up a bit) Stir vigorously until all is mixed. Let set for several hours in the fridge, or, overnight is even better. The cream of coconut will separate, so just stir again before serving. Serve over ice with a straw or drink stir stick.



A few notes:
1) You can use any white wine, but after creating this recipe for the first time I've decided that if you are using fresh pineapple and cherries (which are way less sweet than canned), go with a sweet wine (like Riesling, Moscato, Muscat, or Gewurstrameiner)
2) If you are using canned fruit however, you may want to go with a dryer wine, perhaps a Chardonnay, Seyval Blanc, or even better yet, a Pino Grigio (that sometimes has pineapple notes). This Sangria was a bit on the sweet side, which is totally OK, if that's how you roll.
3) I will definitely try this one again...as good as it was, I think I will maybe go with my original thought and use coconut milk instead of the condensed cream of coconut. I just didn't care for the "separation" thing, ya know? (even though it stirs down easily, but then hey, it goes down FAST and easy too, I'm just sayin')


OK, so one down, several Sangria ideas to go....I have a few more up my sleeve that I'll be posting in the next couple of weeks. Meanwhile, if you want more Sangria recipes, come on over to bakespace and check out the Sangria topic in the forums! 


Cheers!

7 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

Spryte said...

Nice!!!

Patti T. said...

DD, I will be right over, these will be great sipping while we are lounging around your pool.

DDpie said...

come on over y'all!!! ;)

Culinary Alchemist said...

I love this idea! 'Cause I REALLY love Pina Colada's..... And gettin caught in the rain LOL

Danielle said...

this sounds wonderful! Love pina coladas!! hmm...now you have me thinking.....tequila sunrise sangria. Seriously girl...we need to be neighbors! LOL

matt74 said...

Wow I need to get this drink in some girls around here..LOL!..looks real refreshing!