Jul 8, 2010

Ghiradelli Turtle Brownie Bites with Nutella


Well I haven't been doing too much baking or cooking lately, but I did do a little a couple of weeks ago when I had an all girl pool party. I wanted to do a little something special for dessert, but yet, something that was simple, quick and "cute", after all, it WAS a total "chick" party (seriously, no boys were allowed hehehe) Nothing says "chick" better than chocolate...right?  I had something like this in mind and was totally prepared to do them from scratch...however, while grocery shopping for the party I came across a box of Ghiradelli Turtle Brownie Mix...SCORE....so now all I had to do was make them "cute".

As for the recipe, I ended up using the directions for cookies on the back of the box (minus the pecan halves)...with a few minor adjustments and additions. I decided to make them in mini muffin tins (again, for the mere cute factor), besides, there would be ample amounts of alcohol flowing so I thought I better keep the desserts to a minimum.  Turns out, that was a good plan, but that didn't stop anyone from devouring them. Ah yes, they were soooooo good. The perfect "chick" food. ;)

Ghiradelli Turtle Brownie Bits

1- 18.5 oz Ghiradelli Turtle Brownie Mix (you'll need the mix AND the caramel package)
6 Tbsp softened butter
2 large egg whites (or use 1 whole egg as the package suggests)
about 1/4 jar of Nutella (or more, if that's how you roll)

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray (or line with paper cups)
In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter to soften and then add the egg whites one at a time and beating on high until well mixed.
Add in the package of brownie mix and mix on a slow speed, then medium speed until it is just incorporated. (the mixture will be stiff)
Use a cookie scoop or drop by tablespoonfuls into the muffin tins. (one measuring tablespoon is perfect) You may not have quite enough to fill every muffin tin, but close.
Next, place a deep thumb print into each brownie.
Next, cut off a small corner of the caramel package and squeeze in caramel into each brownie bite.
Bake for about 10 minutes. (not much longer, you want them "gooey")
Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in the tins. Gently remove the brownie bites.
Next, cover the caramel with a dollop of Nutella and spread just over the caramel area. (they look prettier that way LOL) The addition of the Nutella helps keep the caramel soft and gooey and prevents it from drying out.
Store in an airtight container, or they can be frozen if wrapped well in saran wrap.

That's it! easy peasy!

Lower in calories too, right? I mean, unless of course you eat 10 mini ones as opposed to 1 regular sized brownie LOL

4 comments:

Cookiebaker said...

Ok...I love turtle brownies, I love Ghiradelli brownies and I love Nutella.....I'd say this recipe goes in my to make file!

Culinary Alchemist said...

Awww No boys allowed!?! I guess now I am going to have to make these for myself. Cause they look sinfully good!

Danielle said...

omg!! those looks so darned good! of course chocolate anything is wonderful...and when you add nutella....oh hale yes!

Billie said...

Wow, these look delicious!!